Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Armstrongs

God introduced me to the Armstrong family through our Girls Bible Study. They were a great influence on me. I was initially impressed by the fact that the dad (Matthew) would bring Brandy from Los Banos to work with him early Monday morning, then bring her to bible study at 6:30 and wait for her till 8:00 or so to bring her back to Los Banos when we finished. She was there every Monday even though it made for a very long day.

As I got to encounter their whole family they impressed me and inspired me more and more. They had such passion for life and compassion for the people God brought into their path. Their enthusiasm for life and the adventure that it is, inspired me to "live" more. They were the love of each other's life. They enjoyed each other and the life and family they had made together. They had just as much passion for their three beautiful kids! I was so impressed when I had the opportunity to meet each one of them. They are the spitting images of their parents... strong, smart, analytical, passionate, vibrant, funny, loud, generous, compassionate, enthusiastic about the love for God they have and so many other things.

Last Christmas I didn't know how life was about to change. A tragic airplane accident took the lives of Matthew, Sarah, Cody and Casey (The Armstrongs 11 year old cousin). Time stopped. Life stopped. Everyone stopped and looked to God... what were any of us supposed to do? As this year has gone on (even though it feels like life should have just stopped then) God has revealed lessons, inspirations, and character through their lives and the lives of their two beautiful and inspiring daughters that are still here.

I have thought about this a lot lately... what would they want us to do? What would they do if they were still here? What can I do to celebrate the people that they were... the amazing character that God gave to just them? I think they would want us to celebrate life! And I'm pretty sure Cody would want The Incredibles at the party!

I have also been thinking about the lessons from my life. Is my life everyday inspiring and loving people? Am I pointing them to God by glorifying Him in everything I do? Life is so short and without knowing what today brings...if I was gone today...would I have shown the people around me the love and hope that God has for them? I hope so and I will do what I can today...and tomorrow...and the next day...and forever...until there is no more...to do just that! God IS enough! Can you say the same?

I also just want the Girls to know how blessed I am to be a part of their lives. Your parents would be so proud of the women that you are becoming! YOU have changed my life! I love you! I don't think I could love you more if you were my own flesh and blood! I love having the opportunity to see each day how God is working in and through you. I love your sense of humor, perseverance, strength in God, excitement for life, and how you carry on and celebrate those characteristics that were unique to your family. I know you will and see you carrying on the passions of your parents! If I get to be a parent hope that my kids love our family and the parents we are as much as you love your family! Your parents did a great job!

No comments: