Friday, August 31, 2007

Hubbard

Click here to read the News Story.

This morning on my way to work I was stopped in my tracks by the site of an entire community rallying around a local family that has lost two sons in the war in Iraq. The second is to be buried today in Clovis. Yesterday several families spent the afternoon in 100+ degree weather to tie red, white, and blue ribbons around each pole at every intersection the processional will go through. From the funeral home, to the church, to the grave site. That in and of itself is a sight to see. But on my way in I noticed an elderly woman who had clearly gotten up early and was outside in her nightgown. She was putting flags in her planters that line the street where this soldier will be driven to be laid to rest. As I drove I noticed that there were several people up and putting out flags. Along with other business and homes that had already put up their flags and ribbons in support.

I'm not exactly sure why this makes me so emotional. There is something reminiscent of 9/11 when everyone pulled together... looked to God and for a short moment in time. Relied on Him for strength and hope. It is an amazing site to see thousands of people working for the same goal... at this moment it happens to be giving honor to a young man who gave his life (along with 18 others) one day to protect us and our freedoms.

To God be the glory and honor and praise.

No comments: